Thursday 9 January 2014

New Year's Resolutions

With the new year ahead of us, many people like to make resolutions especially after the holiday season of festive eating and possibly less exercise. The days are shorter in the winter and up here in Toronto, the weather gets much colder so it is easy to fall off the wagon. I had been looking forward to the end of year as I use it as an excuse to take a break from training. I had told myself that I would amp up my training and re-evaualte my year after the holidays. It got me thinking, what were my resolutions going to be. Firstly, I had to find out what resolutions really were.


This is the definition I found when trying to see what a New Year's Resolution was. As per Wikipedia- 

"A New Year's resolution is a secular tradition, most common in the Western Hemisphere but also found in the Eastern Hemisphere, in which a person makes a promise to do an act of self-improvement or something slightly nice, such as opening doors for people beginning from New Year's Day.[1]"

I had never really been a person to set resolutions as I find I never really stick to them.  But after reading the definition, I realize that I have always been setting resolutions.  I always want to improve myself physically as a runner, be a positive role model to my children, be a loving and supportive wife to my husband and kids, and an all round positive person at work and in my social life. 

So with this in hand, I look forward to 2014. I am entering my 5th year of training as a runner and going into my 2nd year of marathon training. I am sure the year will have it's ups and downs but I am looking forward to the challenge. I was fortunate to be on maternity leave my first year of marathon training. I was home every night and was able to run at my convince. Now that I have returned back to work, I am still learning to juggle family life, jet lag and marathon training. I am going to aim for more personal bests and run every race with all I've got .

Cheers and here's to 2014

Do you make resolutions?

What are your resolutions for 2014?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Antelope Canyon 50 Miler Recap Part 2

We were lucky that the race start was only a 15 minute drive from our hotel, so we were able to sleep until the very last minute.  Race star...